Social Icons


Thursday, August 6, 2009

My Hubby's Hospitalization

It's been more than 2 weeks since the last time I updated this blog. Things happened unexpectedly like my hubby's hospitalization. Right after the dedication and 1st birthday of little Vernice, we went up to Baguio with my sister and family. Hubby wanted to relax and enjoy the cool weather there but on the 4th day of our stay there, he had a severe abdominal pain. It was on and off for a couple of days because after I gave him apple cider vinegar he felt okay. But it recurred the next day and then he felt the pain and he can't sleep no more at night. I bought over the counter drugs like antispasmodic pill and it worked at first but then afterwards the pain returned. I even had to put a hot compress on his stomach most of the time. It had helped a little but not that much. I asked him to go to the hospital but he didn't want to but on July 31st, he can't stand the pain no more so he agreed at last to be taken to the hospital. I took him to the ER. They took a stool test and it was negative so the doctor prescribed him pills for stomach pain and sent him home.

When we were home after we ate lunch and he took the pill, the pain persisted and I really got worried. I thought it might be appendicitis or UTI. I called my sister who was at her work in the lowland and I asked her to come after she gets off from work. She decided to take off at 2:00 PM and traveled straight to Baguio from her work. After our supper that night, we took my hubby again to the ER at the same hospital and I told the doctor there that the medicine he prescribed didn't work at all. I asked them to test his urine and they did. The result was negative of any infection and so they did test after test like CBC, ECG, chest and stomach x-rays thinking that it might be appendicitis or maybe something wrong in his gallbladder but they didn't find anything wrong on him. Next they got blood sample again and test his pancreas, they called it amylase and serum lipase and still the results were okay. Then the doctors suspected that there might be a blood clot inside his stomach so they suggested to do an ultrasound. Before that he was not allowed to eat or drink. On Saturday afternoon, they did the ultrasound. After the ultrasound, hubby told me that he just found out it was a boy, LOL! It really made laughed. He still managed to joke around, he-he! The result of the ultrasound was known right away. They didn't find anything serious except a fatty liver and small kidney stone on his left kidney. They said it should not be the cause of a severe abdominal pain. I was already puzzled what's the cause of the illness of my hubby. Our expenses there kept soaring up after all those tests. The room I got for him was private and it's pricey. They then suggested a CT scan for my hubby after the ultrasound. So still they didn't give him no food or drink until the CT scan is done that day. So he had an ultrasound and CT scan in just one day.

After the CT scan that night, my hubby kept asking for food and drink. So I asked the nurse if my hubby can have some foods already. She told me she would have to ask the doctor first. Then she returned and told me that my hubby can only have soup and gelatin according to doctors order. She told me to just go out and buy outside because it's past supper time already. I gave my hubby water to drink but he was not satisfied. He wanted something to eat. It's been almost 24 hours since the last time he ate. So what I did, I went to the nurses' station and asked the nurse there for food for hubby. The nurse whom I talked to a few minutes ago was there and she told me to go buy outside. My temper broke and I told her that the hospital should provide the food for my hubby because it's included in our hospital bill and I should not be the one buying food for him. The other nurse said that she will take care of it and then I turned and left with my temper still rising. After a few minutes, a bowl of soup and 3 small pieces of jellyace was delivered for hubby.

The result of the CT scan was known by Monday and it turned out okay. They didn't find anything wrong on him. So I was like asking myself and thinking what's wrong with my hubby. He had 3 doctors and I was really thinking of the bill that we're going to pay. Meanwhile, hubby was still in pain every night and he kept asking for pain reliever. Then the doctors suggested to perform colonoscopy to see if something is wrong in his colon. I told the doctor we can't afford it no more and I wanted to check out my hubby from the hospital. They did a lot of tests already and they didn't find anything wrong. I asked my hubby if he wanted to have it done and he said whatever my decision is then he will follow. I called my sister and asked her opinion and she told me to have the colonoscopy done for my hubby. So I called the doctor and told him we will have it done. By the way, hubby's attending doctor was my board mate when I was in college so we really know each other.

So Monday night, they prepared my hubby for the colonoscopy procedure to be done the next day at 9:30 AM. They didn't give him any solid food after 6:00 PM and after 12 midnight no more liquid. They gave him laxative and that night he went to the bathroom 4 times to pooh. He was not able to sleep good that night. At 9:30 AM while I was taking a shower, they came to get my hubby for colonoscopy. When I got out from the bathroom he was gone. A few minutes after, the nurse came to ask me to go to the scope room as per request of the doctor. So I went there and they were already doing the colonoscopy. Hubby was sedated so he was unconscious. They let me watch on the monitor what they're doing. At first I was nervous because it was my first time to watch that procedure done. As I was looking at the screen the colon and large intestines of my hubby being scan, I was praying to God and the Lord impressed on my heart this verse, "All things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28. I was able to control my nervousness. Then the doctor called me and told me that there's an area inside hubby's colon that has a rough surface. They got a specimen for biopsy. Then they kept scanning and found 6 polyps inside my hubby's colon. I was really amazed how they removed those polyps with the use of their instruments right there and then. They will do biopsy and we will know the result after a week. I asked why do they have to do the biopsy if it's not cancerous and the nurse told me that there are many kinds of polyps so they wanted to know what kind is it. After almost an hour, the procedure was finish and my hubby was already awake. The first thing he asked me was food. He wanted something to eat. It really made me smile.

Before they took my hubby back to the room, I asked the doctor if they found anything serious in my hubby's colon. I felt relieved when he told me that they found nothing serious and no colon cancer whatsoever. He said hubby has an inflamed colon due to ulcerative colitis and peptic ulcer. After all those test, the last test they did was where they found out hubby's illness. Holy molly guacamole!!!

They gave prescription for hubby after their diagnosis and it made my hubby felt better. The next day which was Wednesday, my birthday, the doctors released hubby from the hospital. The nurse then came to tell me to get the hospital bill at the billing section. I got shocked when I've seen the total bill. It was too much, 65k! My face became so hot. My cash was not enough. I have only 50K and I thought that was more than enough for 5 days stay in the hospital. I told the cashier I didn't expect that much and the cash I have was not enough. He told me that he close at 4PM so I told him I will just come back when I get enough money to pay. I asked if they accept credit or debit card but he said no. I went back to the room and told hubby about it. I called my sister and told her I needed to borrow some money. I had to wait on her because they had to travel from Laoac and it takes 1 and a half hour drive to Baguio.. I got worried she won't make it before 4PM and we will spend another night in the hospital. I was relieved when they arrived at 3:30 PM so I was able to pay the bill. Sigh!!! There goes our money. It really depleted our finances but I'm thankful to the Lord that hubby is feeling better now. God is good all the time and all the time God is good. Thank you Lord!

1 comment:

Shelly said...

Thank you so much for taking care of Dad! I love you all the more for it. I'm glad you are doing well, too.

Blogger Templates